Join our Slack

Talk to other users and have a great time
Slack Server

Welcome to our Community

Click here to get your Exiled Bot license
Donation Store
foom

VM graphics smoothness

Sometimes I want to manually play one of my accounts for various reasons and I want the graphics to be like it is on my host OS, but there is all this lag and choppiness no matter how many resources I give it.  None of my hardware is maxed out.  Any tips?

Edit: It isn't choppy all the time, just every 10 seconds or so.  This comes down to a huge FPS drop that lasts maybe 2 seconds and then the cycle repeats.  I already tried limiting the FPS and it doesn't matter...if I limit the FPS to 20 the drops just go to maybe 5 FPS instead of dropping from 80 to 20.  The result is the same.  Again, none of my hardware is being significantly taxed.

Edited by foom

If your hardware isn't being taxed, it could be that your GPU is actually damaged... Or you have a really crappy harddrive, Have you done a benchmark test for either of them?

I'm running 2 x GTX 660 which run games fine on the host and benchmarks appropriately... the hard drive the VM is sitting on is 2 x 120 GB SSD in RAID 0 and it reads at 950 MB/sec according to CrystalDiskMark.

I remember I had this problem when I wasn't playing with bot long time ago, try adding "-gc 2" in shortcut, it might work for you

L.E.: Check the temperature of your components, especially GPU

Edited by ChiefNoob

Did you install VMware tools ?

Yes I did.

I remember I had this problem when I wasn't playing with bot long time ago, try adding "-gc 2" in shortcut, it might work for you

L.E.: Check the temperature of your components, especially GPU

Will do.  Note also that this problem is exclusive to when I'm using VM. On main Win 7 OS, no such issues.  Will update after utilizing gc2 later.

"-gc 2 -swa -ns" are all great commands to add to your path to reduce the chance of freezing or crashing

I eliminated this issue by overlocking my processor - bumping my i5-4670K from 3.4ghz stock to 4.5ghz.  Not sure why there wasn't enough juice there before, to be honest, as the issue occurred even when the processor wasn't maxed.