Slack Server

Welcome to our Community

Click here to get your Exiled Bot license
Donation Store
Sign in to follow this  
d12

Looking for a new Laptop ;)

hey guys,

as the title alrdy says im looking for a new latop.

since there are coming new ones atm quite frquently im quite a bit confused.

looking into threads about thinkpad t440s (basically waiting for t440/p infos since im not rly loooking for an ultrabook)

also some dell latitude e7440 is coming up or is up atm but sold out alrdy atm ;)

dell precision workstations coming aswell soon named m4800/6800. i think also m3800

hp notebooks seem to be quite more expensive than lenovo and dell so dont want to afford those. (mybe im looking for the wrong shit xD)

basically i wanna use this laptop for university and some gaming. (poe for example xD)

as it seems with an intel iris 5100/5200 this should be possible without discrete graphics. (i dont give alot on high graphic settings)

maybe also possible with intel 5000.

also it should be 14-15" (preferring 14" since its just a bit smaller, but u dont rly feel the difference when looking at the screen xD)

so if u need more info just tell me.

otherwise just gimme ur thoughts ;)

urs

d12

Yo,

If you could name a price range, that would be helpful.

I personally like dell, because of the 3 year warranty. It might not be needed, but if your laptop dies after 2 year, you will be happy that you got that.

If you would like to play games, a GPU card is recommended, I know that some of the intel integrated card can handle games, but overall its better to have a gpu, and use it sometimes.(You can use it with opencl / cuda for extra processing power anyway)

Also look for SSD drive, that really speeds up laptop.(Got one in desktop, but not in my laptop, missing the horses in university)

I mostly use my laptop to make notes, c*, web, and d3+poe works pretty well. (It has an nvidia mobile gpu)

If you ever plan to use the laptop for more than just a word processor and/or web browsing then get a laptop with a separate GFX card. POE especially wont run on most of the intel solutions very well and to be honest you are not going to be paying much extra for the option nowadays.

hey guys,

thx for the fast answers.

price: max 1.5k euros

and ofc im going for an SSD. got one in my thinkpad x61 and its freaking nice.

about the 3 year warranty: doesnt lenovo have 3 years aswell?

and most likely the laptop should easy life for 3 years if im not buying some mainstream model. which i dont rly want.

and yes i know a gpu is recommended for gaming, but as it seems the new intel iris seem to be quite capable for the lower games alrdy.

i just made bad experience with discrete gpu (with a dell xps). didnt rly buy it cause its a super good laptop, but the price was insane cheap with some coupons xD.

@ okostibi

which nvidia?

@ GGG-Botman

as i alrdy mentioned i had some problems with an extra gpu. so i hoped i can get rid of this shit xD

and yes i know there are only 2-3 intel igpus which are able to handle games properly.

basically waiting for those dual cores with nice igpu which should be released soon.

maybe i should say, that im studying software engineering and im not too far away from successfully finishing it. ;)

so im not totally without any clue what im looking for xD

hope this isnt too confusing, but i think i stated everything u mentioned.

d12

EDIT:

for some fun xD like ppl try to complain not having a low voltage 10h battery life gaming ultra book ;)

the more recent posts getting even more fun...

http://forum.notebookreview.com/lenovo/ ... 1080p.html

I had an MSI gaming notebook few years ago, it was really doing an awesome job, only 1 problem: the heat....

I recently bought a G75-VW from Asus and i can tell you i'm 200% satisfied.

The bitch stays as cold as stone even when i run 3 VMs on it.

However the only "bad" thing is the battery life when it comes to feed an i7 and a 17" screen....

Otherwise I'd say G75 series are like a secure choice for either gaming and working on the notebook. (paid mine 1600€ almost 1 year ago so and i'm still 200% satisfied of it so i guess with your 1.5k € you can find newer series even more powerful)

Yep, i have to admit i don't feel raped after buying it...it'll still be an awesome computer in a few years so it's like buying a 800€ computer every 2 years but i'll keep this one for 5 years at least so...pretty happy with my laptop :)

thats good to hear. since im also looking for something i can use for a long time ;)

guess ur running an ssd with it?

EDIT:

and ur running the 3 vms with bots in there?

so like 2x diablo and 1x poe?

EDIT 2:

also forgot to mention, that i RLY like to have a track point.

since im using the laptop alot in the university and im just too dumb to properly use a touchpad ;)

(thats the main reason im looking at those dell and lenovo ones atm. and also cause they got excellent build quality compared to most other company's laptops)

using a touch screen is not wanted and also no solution for not having a track point. touchpads just suck for serious business xD

gef 525m(pretty old card, this laptop is like 2 years old now)

Yeah probably lenovo has 3 year warranty, some of the sites say 1, some of the sites say 3, guess you have to check in the warranty on lenovo site.

At first I was like, touchpad is good, I only need the laptop for few things, but later I just bought a mouse. If I carry a laptop already, a small mouse is not a problem, and helps a lot.

My friend has a laptop worth like 2k eur, it has an extra cpu, and he complained about heat as well(during hot days, he couldnt even play multi in poe, because of the overheat)

So if you are going to buy a laptop with an extra gpu, look for the heat issues.

Also extra gpu means, you can play games, and if the extra gpu is not needed it can be turned off, so the battery wont die that fast.

If we are at it, and planning to use your laptop a lot without power source, look carefully at energy consumption.

Imo it's simple :

1 - Want long lifetime battery?

Go for 15" laptop with i5 (i7 eats rly much especially if you have a good use on the 4 cores)

2 - Want to be able to use your computer for garming ?

Go for 17" (yeah playing on a 15" is just a pain imo)

So really you have to do the balance and find what's the best for you :)

hey,

thx for ur thoughts.

im kinda aware of those issues u mentioned.

1. a track point is needed since as u alrdy mentioned touch pads suck for serious useage.

2. having this problem aswell with the extra gpu here (540m). its located left of the touchpad and therefore just under my left hand while gaming.

incredibly hot in the summer. in winter its quite nice to have it xD

3. ill probably going for 14" (max 15") since im not gaming alot on the go and at home im gaming on an external 21" monitor anyways.

4. atm i got an i7 here (2nd gen) and its kinda never over 50%. only if vm craps around for some kind of buggy things i guess.

thats why im waiting for those ULV i5 dual cores (28W as i rem) from intel which should be released soon. they also got the good graphics inside. (iris (5000)/5100/5200)

EDIT:

WTF!!!

i just found out, that the hot part left from the touch pad isnt the gpu as i expected since its hot as hell.

its my hard drive... (is this somehow possible, or there might be something wrong with it? its a normal (toshiba MK6461GSY) hdd

never thought a hdd might get that hot. also the ssd on my x61 produces heat like it would even be turned on xD